When this 16-year-old woke up one morning her eyes were full of pus. You can find the cause in every pharmacy.

Her name is Tylah Durie. She’s 16 and pretty much your average teenager from Australia. Of course at this age, just like many teens, appearance is very important. Styling hair, wearing makeup and dressing trendy is an everyday ritual for teens like Tylah.

Every now and then a new trend will come along and many teens will want to jump on the bandwagon. Tylah decided to tint her eyebrows and eyelashes. She already had experience with hair coloring that she bought at the store, so she really didn’t think much of it.

She would soon find out just how big of a mistake this actually was.

The product she picked up was a bit different from others she used in the past. This one happen to contain p-Phenylenediamine, or PPD. This is a chemical used for coloring instead of other types of coloring agents like henna.

A patch test is vital when using this chemical. Some people are allergic to it and the consequences can be bad. Many people bypass the simple patch test, just assuming that they will be fine.

Tylah didn’t do the test, and went ahead with her coloring. The next morning she couldn’t open up her eyes. The product had actually swollen shut her eyes due to the allergic reaction she was suffering from. She had to get to the ER as quickly as possible.

Here’s what she had to say:

“I woke up almost blind because of the reaction, my eyes had blown up like huge balloons, I was crying and screaming. It was like having beach sand thrown in your eyeballs and not being able to get it out, then a stinging like razor blades on my eyebrows.”

“I have chemical burns on both my eyebrows and I couldn’t see out of my eyes because of the swelling. I was terrified of losing my eyesight at such a young age. An optometrist the next day told me how lucky I was not to have gone blind.”

Lucky indeed. It was thanks to her getting help quickly, and using a prescription ointment that a full recovery was possible. In turn she has turned to social media to share her story and hopefully prevent other people from going through what she went through.

While you may have tried dyes in the past and it has turned out alright, there can always be that one ingredient that a different dye has which can cause major harm.

Share this story with friends and family to spread awareness of how dangerous coloring dyes can be!