She left her baby alone with its father. One hour later she got the most dreadful call ever. This story is horrible!

Born healthy and happy, Cheyenne Rae Owensby was a wonderful little child who meant the world to her mom. The parents had separated, but Cheyenne would see her father on every second weekend. It was in August of 2012, when Cheyenne’s mom went to drop her off for her weekend visit. That’s when something very bad ended up happening.


It was only an hour and a half right after dropping young Cheyenne off at the fathers, when the mom received the worst kind of phone call ever.


The dad, James Davis Jr., had grabbed Cheyenne who was only 8-months-old at the time, and shook her, all because she was crying. The result of the violent shake was a fractured skull which caused bleeding on the brain.


The mother was told that her baby was flown to a hospital nearby. She was also told that her baby was not breathing.


Long-term care for the rest of her life would now be required the mom was told. Essentially she would be in a vegetative state. Here’s what the mother had to say upon hearing this horrific news:

“Between crying so hard I was shaking and throwing up, I was begging God to please save her or to take me instead. Right when I got by her bedside — seeing her covered in bandages, IVs everywhere, her leg was black from a blood clot, she was so swollen — my phone rings and it’s the cops saying James confessed to shaking her.”


The mother was beside herself and couldn’t fathom how such a thing could happen.

“The man I was in love with, my first love, high school sweetheart, a guy I had known and shared a life with almost 10 years did this to OUR daughter. My whole world came crashing down.”


Indeed, the father confessed to shaking the baby, saying that he “lost control” of himself. He would be sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Meanwhile, the mother was fighting for Cheyenne’s life. Doctors had told her she wouldn’t survive the night. But if she did happen to survive, the rest of her life would be spent in a state of minimal consciousness.


Half of her brain ended up having to be removed. But then something incredible happened. She woke up.
While she could speak and move, the right side of her body was paralyzed. Still, she seemed determined to hang in there.


Cheyenne has now grown up. She enjoys life fully. It’s incredible to see her now, and know the state she was in before.


Cheyenne’s progress is documented on social media by her mother. She is also pushing the message of “Be careful who you trust your children to!”

Share this very important message, and this child’s incredible story, with friends and family.